Susan cares deeply about the economic vitality of Dearborn. She understands that small business is the cornerstone of Dearborn’s economy. As Mayor, she will work to promote small business growth and economic development across all corners of our city.
- Expanding Dearborn’s economy means that we have to support and grow our small businesses, because they are the very heart of our city. As Mayor, Susan will work to reduce red tape and streamline the commercial services process with the use of technology to help new businesses open and current businesses to continue to flourish and grow. As Mayor, Susan will assign back of house personnel to ensure daily, weekly, and monthly monitoring of all applications, permits, and inspections to ensure timely responses to our residents and business owners - no applications will fall through the cracks. Susan will invest in an online tracking portal that will be made available to all applicants.
- Dearborn’s downtowns and corridors continue to serve as a historical and business center of our city. The East and West Dearborn Downtowns and the Dix-Vernor and Warren Corridors have played a major role as an economic driver for our city. As Mayor, Susan will continue to support the growth of these districts’ business property development and investment by recruiting and retaining skill, talent, and vision. The Economic Development Department will work to identify business opportunities and tenants for vacant properties through market analysis and active recruitment.
- As Mayor, Susan will call on relationships with state, county and federal partners to establish tax credits for facade and streetscape improvements.
- As Mayor, Susan will form arrangements between public and private sector partners to renovate, construct, operate, maintain, and/or manage a facility or system to drive more development and improvement projects.
- As Mayor, Susan will work to improve the permitting process for residents and business owners by introducing an online permit tracking portal. By investing in new technology, this will streamline the process and allow residents and business owners to track permit applications and find permit information for any property in the city. Additionally, this portal will hold the administration accountable by ensuring timely response times and permit processing in seven (7) business days. As Mayor, Susan will ensure there will be appropriate inter-departmental communication resulting in improved response times to our customers.
- As Mayor, Susan will create a Grants Department that will facilitate fundraising and grant-writing, implement public and private investments, and fund development for the city. The Grants Team will provide oversight and project management support for City departments with active grants. The newly established Grants Team will also be tasked with identifying federal, state, and local grant opportunities for Dearborn’s nonprofit organizations and small businesses. There will be one goal in mind: obtain outside revenue and reduce taxpayer burden.
- As Mayor, Susan will continue to utilize her robust network and relationships to bring more jobs into Dearborn in partnership with local unions, community stakeholders, and corporate partners.
- As Mayor, Susan will work closely with large employers like Ford Motor Company, University of Michigan-Dearborn, and Beaumont Hospital to attract complementary industries to the area including automotive and/or medical suppliers and sub-contractors and sub-employers.
- As Mayor, Susan will empower startups and local businesses by assisting them in launch and growth. She will work with the Dearborn Chamber of Commerce and other local and regional chambers to create an incubator and accelerator, and support small businesses with coworking and office spaces as well as meeting and event spaces. This will also connect entrepreneurs to resources, grants, training, and networking opportunities.